Join our Seasonal Firefighting Team
Do you want a meaningful and rewarding summer job? Do you enjoy physical, sometimes strenuous, labor? Each year DNR seeks hundreds of dedicated individuals to help protect 13 million acres of Washington wildlands from wildfire.
Apply for a job as a DNR Wildland Firefighter
These seasonal, temporary firefighting jobs are offered statewide. Expect to work three to four months beginning mid-June and ending in mid-September. We provide the training, safety clothing and protective gear. You bring enthusiasm and the ability to perform courageous outdoor work safely, productively and responsibly. Watch for firefighter jobs to open www.dnr.wa.gov/employment/jobs. We want you to be successful. See these online resources and keep the following three tips in mind when you apply:
Four easy qualifications needed
Must turn 18 years old at or before the time of hire (typically by May to mid-June)
- Must have a high school diploma or GED at or before time of hire (typically by May to mid-June)
- Must have a valid driver’s license, 2 years of driving experience and an acceptable driving record with no serious traffic violations. We cannot accept the following:
• License suspension/revocation due to reckless driving, hit and run, leaving an accident scene, failure to appear, DUI or other vehicle-related felony
• More than 3 moving violations in the past 12 months
• More than 4 moving violations in the past 24 months
- Able to buy lace-up boots with Vibram soles and constructed entirely of heavy leather that extends a minimum of 8 inches above the heel cup (inside of boot).DNR will reimburse (when deemed necessary) up to $270 (with original receipt) for the cost of pre-approved boots.
Don’t be alarmed if you don’t hear from us right away – it can be several months into spring before we start contacting applicants for interviews.
Know that the experience and training you’ll take with you as a DNR wildland firefighter can form the foundation for a lifelong career in forestry, a related natural resource profession, or a permanent position within DNR Wildfire.
Apply here: www.dnr.wa.gov/employment/jobs